ASUS ROG Zephyrus S
- 15.6” Full HD 144Hz IPS Type Display | 3ms response time with slim 6.5mm Bezel
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 *(with Max Q technology) | Base: 1101MHz, Boost: 1265MHz, TDP: 90W
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 8750H (up to 3.9GHz) processor
- 0.62” thin, 4.6 lbs | ultraportable military grade magnesium alloy body gaming laptop with premium cover CNC milled from solid aluminum
- 16GB 2666Hz DDR4 | 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD | Windows 10 Home
First on our list is a laptop that, on the surface, looks like it’s built purely around gaming. While this may be the case, the amount of performance offered here will work wonders if you choose to use this as your daily workhorse.
While the fans can be quite loud under heavy load, they do an excellent job of cooling down the system, which is something you should be aware of whether you are gaming or working or not. These fans are touted as “anti-dust” and “self-cleaning” and when combined with the 5mm vent that opens when the lid is up, they help increase airflow by up to 22% compared to a traditional design.
A great gaming laptop that will easily double as a durable workhorse. If you know you won’t be using your laptop solely for work, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus is a laptop that really can do it all. We are particularly impressed by the cooling system and the sleek design.
The ROG Zephyrus S is an amazing choice if you’re looking for a slim yet powerful machine that’s best suited for animators who are also interested in photo editing, 3D rendering, and more. The device is powered by an Intel Core i7-8750H processor with a Turbo Boost speed of up to 3.9GHz. This means a smoother animation process, even if you are using some of the most robust software out there.
Because there is a better approach to design, there are surely some lower sections. For example, the device has only 16GB of DDR4 RAM. However, on the plus side, you get 512GB of SSD storage, which would be enough to launch software packages quickly and faster boot speeds. Although not as high as the first option, this combination of RAM and storage would be enough to keep your animation projects refreshed.
Acer Predator Helios 300
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 5.0 GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- Overclockable NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
- 16 GB DDR4 2933MHz Dual-Channel Memory, 512GB NVMe SSD (2 x M.2 slots; 1 slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 - Available Hard Drive Bay
- 4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard | Wireless: Killer Double Shot Pro Wireless-AX 1650i 802. 11ax Wi-Fi 6; LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN; DTS X: Ultra-Audio; 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan
If you’re looking for a high-end computer that can deliver outstanding graphics and unmatched speed, the Acer Predator Helios 300 is the way to go, due to its top-of-the-line graphics card and ultra-powerful processor, among many other amazing features.
The Acer Predator Helios 300 is actually advertised as a gaming laptop, however it is well suited for animation needs. Despite that, this laptop offers some of the most impressive specs you can expect on a low budget. Powering it is an Intel Core i7-10750H processor with a 2.6GHz base clock. That being said, Turbo Boost can bring the clock speed up to 5GHz, which is great when rendering. Going further, you would see the 16GB of DDR4 RAM in the Helios 300. When combined with 512GB of SSD storage, you are assured of the best boot speeds and multilayer editing. The increased amount of RAM means a smooth transition and playback every time. However, we wish the laptop offered a better amount of SSD-based storage.
In terms of visual space, the Acer Predator Helios 300 comes with a bright and sharp 15.6-inch Full HD display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution. As far as dedicated graphics go, a high-performance 6GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 is included and this is a great option for general content creators. The laptop doesn’t compromise when it comes to connectivity either, as you get high-speed Bluetooth and wireless technology.
Apple MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Chip
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Get more done with up to 20 hours of battery life, the longest ever in a Mac
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 2.8x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever
- 8-core GPU with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
The MacBook Pro with M1 is a laptop with an unbeatable combination of power and endurance. And I know this because I’ve been using this system for a few months to get over my workload, and I can barely make this machine stutter no matter what I throw at it. With the new M1 chip, the Apple Silicon inside this 3-pound beast runs in circles around most Windows laptops when it comes to sheer performance. Just as important, the new MacBook Pro M1 outperforms the competition in battery life, by far. We are talking about more than 16 hours of endurance. My only complaint is that Apple hasn’t touched the design.
The MacBook Pro M1 is easily one of the best 13-inch laptops money can buy. You get amazing performance and epic battery life for your $ 1,299. And yet the speed gap between MacBook Pro and MacBook Air with M1 is not that great. However, there are a few reasons to spend money on the MacBook Pro with M1. You get better sustained performance for larger tasks, because the MacBook Pro has a fan and the Air doesn’t. And I appreciate that the MacBook Pro has a brighter screen and a better GPU for its open price. If Apple released two more Thunderbolt ports, I think the Pro would be easier to sell.
Microsoft Surface Book 2
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 Features a 8th generation Intel Quad Core i7 Processor, 256 GB of storage, 16 GB RAM, and up to 17 hours of video playback
- Enhanced Graphics performance with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory
- The fastest Surface Book yet, with 4x more power
- Vibrant PixelSense Display: Now available with a new 15" touchscreen
- Four versatile modes of use and new USB C port; Contrast ratio: 1600:1
This next one really shouldn’t come as a surprise, with all its unique features making it a cartoon and animation compatible laptop. The Microsoft Surface Book 2 is easily the best two-in-one laptop in the category, thanks to its detachable screen design, to begin with.
If you are looking for a versatile laptop with enough performance for animators, the Microsoft Surface Book 2 is a great option on the market. This Surface Book offers standard performance, thanks to the included Intel Core i7-8650U processor clocked at 1.9GHz in Turbo Boost. Therefore, despite the minimal design and weight, the laptop can handle the software in Adobe Creative Cloud Suite with considerable ease.
What this means is that you can not only rotate the screen a full 360 degrees and then fold it, you can also separate it completely from the keyboard if you want to use the screen like a tablet. It also comes with innovative accessories, like the Surface Pen and the Surface dial. We really love this feature as you can get a lot more practice when it comes to drawing, illustrating, adding textures, and more. Surface Dial also lets you optimize your shortcuts, like measurements and color palettes, with just a few simple turns and clicks.
Microsoft Surface Book 2 is also one of the few laptops with a 4K screen that an animator can get today. The 15-inch display has a 3260 x 2160 resolution, which keeps everything crystal clear, and touchscreen support adds a lot of value. On the graphics side, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 has 6GB of GDDR5 video RAM to keep things afloat at all times. Most animation programs can use these resources.
MSI GL65 Leopard
- 15.6" FHD IPS-Level 144Hz 72%NTSC Thin Bezel close to 100%Srgb NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8G GDDR6
- Intel Core i7-10750H 2.6-5.0GHz Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201(2 x 2 ax)
- 512GB NVMe SSD 16GB (8G*2) DDR4 2666MHz 2 Sockets Max Memory 64GB
- USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C 1 USB 3.2 Gen1 3 Steel Series per-Key RGB with Anti-Ghost key+ silver lining 720p HD Webcam
- Win10 Multi-language Giant Speakers 3W x 2 6 cell (51Wh) Li-Ion 230W
Finding the most suitable laptop for animation is no longer difficult, as you can blindly trust the MSI GL65 Leopard. Loaded with an optimal hardware configuration, this device is a worthy desktop replacement and fits almost all contemporaries.
Whether working on 2D animation applications like Harmony and After Effects or implementing 3D software solutions like Blender, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and Maya, the Intel Core i7-10750H chipset comes across as a reliable asset. This high-end processor lets you set keyframes accurately or get the best shadowed view shape for the task at hand. Additionally, this CPU strikes the perfect balance between six cores and an exceptional 5 GHz turbo clock frequency, giving you a head start when it comes to single and multi-threaded tasks. Even though the GPU is not a limiting factor, MSI builds into an incredibly powerful RTX 2070, which can come in handy during intense rendering. Plus, you also get access to 8GB VRAM to get a head start when it comes to texture-intensive rendering.
Animators prefer excellent displays and the MSI GL65 Leopard lives up to expectations courtesy of the 15.6-inch IPS panel. While the cumulative resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels is on the expected side, our experts were more satisfied with the 72 percent NTSC color gamut. Additionally, the color-accurate panel also assumes a 144Hz screen refresh rate, which is a reliable asset for gamers and animation artists alike.
The MSI GL65 Leopard also builds on a number of productivity-focused attributes, including the bright backlit keyboard, high-resolution acoustic settings, revolutionary thermal design with 7 heat sink tubes, and the efficient Dragon Center for resource allocation. perfect. Nonetheless, the device is expected to be heavier and MSI forces buyers with a 5.07-pound label. When it comes to connectivity, you have access to USB 3.1 Type-C, Type-A, Wi-Fi 6 standard, and other relevant benefits.